Software Engineer - Python / Ruby on Rails /
Cottage labs is looking for a UK based remote software engineer with at least two years of
experience to join our team of data and software experts. Proximity to the rest of the team
in Oxford, Milton Keynes or Edinburgh would be preferred for regular online calls and
occasional in-person meetings.
We’re looking for a self-motivated developer who’s worked as part of a software dev team
before looking to contribute to a variety of projects for clients all over the world. Key
- Contributing high quality code, tests, and documentation to projects
- Collaborating with project team members - discussing approaches to new features,
reviewing pull requests, pair programming where applicable etc.
- Communicating effectively with clients - attending meetings where possible, engaging
with queries and technical questions relating to projects
- Keeping up-to-date with best practice and promising new technologies
How we work
The whole team at Cottage Labs has always worked remotely. We regularly collaborate on
projects by pairing over zoom and we have an active Slack workspace where support is
available. So do people we work with; you may be hopping between channels talking to various
interesting people throughout the day.
We meet up in person from time to time (expenses will be covered) and have a weekly catch-up
during work hours to keep in touch. We’re also open to flexible working arrangements.
Cottage Labs has a variety of long-term projects with common components. We work in a wide
variety of languages as clients and situations demand - we’d hope for a candidate to have
one of our main languages, plus good working knowledge of version control.
Demonstrated experience in digital library applications or related application domains would
be a bonus.
- Proficiency in Python, Ruby on Rails, or Node.js
- HTML & CSS
- Knowledge of version control
- One or more of: Flask, Django, FastAPI, React
- ElasticSearch or Solr
- Git and GitHub
- Java, PHP, SQL
In addition to development, it may be necessary to perform deployments and diagnosis of
running systems, for which familiarity with Linux servers, remote access via SSH, and wider
knowledge of web hosting would be useful.
- Remote working as standard
- Flexible working hours
- £35k - £55k depending on experience
- Holiday allowance of 32 days including Bank Holidays
- Informal conversation with partners about you, your interests, and the role
- Technical interview & coding evaluation
To apply contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with